How to propose a session?
Anyone can propose a session. They will be filtered by a committee. The deadline to propose a session is 10th of March. Selected sessions will be anounced on the 14th of March. In order to boost the chances of your session, here are some tips you should consider:
- The time limit for a session is 45 minutes, including questions.
- The general rule is 30 minutes for session plus 15 more for questions.
- In the room will be a volunteer controlling the times..
- Is advisable to arrive to the room 15 minutes before the starting time.
This event is organized by a nonprofit association. For that reason, we can't afford paying the speakers. Speakers get a free ticket.
Accepted sessions will be announced before of the end of the early bird period. So, in case your session won't be selected, you'll be able to buy your special price ticket. If early bird tickets are sold out, contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we'll create a discount coupon for you.
- Talking at an event is an excellent way to get visibility in front of companies and professionals from the sector.
- All the sessions will be recorded and will be publicly available at the Association's Vimeo channel.
What will be assessed?
- The topic must be about Drupal or related with the web development world. Topics such as frontend, working methodologies, testing, related technologies, business, Devops, management... However, this year we will favor Drupal 8 oriented sessions.
- The more detailed is the proposal, the more chances it will have. Tagging correctly the session will help to atract the correct audience.
- The summary of the session must explain clearly its contents.
- If you are going to talk about your product or your services, state it clearly in the description. These sessions are valid but we don't want sessions dressed as technical sessions when they have a commercial intention.
- We want to bring an international audience, so sessions considered as medium or high level will have more chances to be chosen if they are in English.
Although the event accepts sessions of any topic, we would like to maximize certain topics:
- Drupal 8.
- Project Management and Business.
- Third party integrations, such as Angular.
Tips on session preparation
- Is important to practice your session before doing it for the first time to know how much time will it need.
- Consider that the attendees will have questions, don't spend all the time with your talk and give some time for the Q&A.
- Is better to go slowly and cover less that fast and trying to say everything. If you go fast, the attendees will miss the most part of it.
You can find a template for the slides here (OpenOffice, PowerPoint, PNG and PDF).
The rooms can be big and with lots of seats, remember that your presentation should be easily readable from the last row. Try to stand up two meters away of your screen. If you can read it easily, the font size is correct. As a trick, try to don't put more than eight lines on each slide with a maximum of 30 characters. Use a font size of 28 ore more and add a generous line spacing.
Use only a few words bug with big significance, then your slides will be easy to read and understand. Remember that the audience is listening to you and the slides are there only as a support. Simplify as much as possible, try to don't use effects and add only what is really necessary. If the content is complex, divide it in sections, try to extend or shorten your session in certain topics.
Avoid the use of CAPITAL LETTERS. The capital letters are harder to read and occupy more space in the screen. Use bold and italic to emphasize the sentences. Using underscores is not recommended.